Tuesday, October 28, 2008

1 Week...

Thank God the election is only a week away. I hear a lot of people saying things that sound like serious 'election fatigue.' I think we're all ready for this to be decided. It feels like it has gone on forever. Right now, I just have 2 observations:

1) It is interesting to me how often those on the "yes on prop. 8" side are claiming they are not bigots and are not hateful. Perhaps it is a good sign that it bothers - at least some of them - to be called/accused of that. For example, I've never heard a skinhead deny being a bigot. But I also don't hear much about why supporting prop. 8 doesn't constitute institutionalizing hatred and prejudice from them. I get that they don't like gay-ness. I get that they want only men and women to be families. I want people to give more generously to charities - that doesn't mean I can pass legislation to make it happen. I believe just as strongly as they believe in this that the Bible requires us to give generously, and that all people should do it. And that the world would be a better place if we did. And I can't understand why people would disagree. But I can't force them to agree with me. They think gay sex is wrong, but they can't stop people from doing it. There is a point where my influence over others stops; and there is a point that where 'where there's smoke there's fire.' If they don't like being called hateful, and are being called that, maybe its time to reevaluate...

2) I just pray that on Nov. 5 we have decisions made - no need for recounts. A landslide would be nice, but even a large enough margin would suffice - just so that its a done deal and we can actually move forward.

Looking forward to November 5, and hoping for peace and calm in the meantime.

1 comment:

Meg Liz said...

A landslide would be nice! It will be interesting to see how things turn out. I just recently discovered your blog. Yay for blooging at The Belfry!
M